Friday, February 1, 2013
LEAVENWORTH - Whether it's playing in the snow or enjoying art or a glass of wine, there truly is fun for all in this Bavarian-themed town during the month of February.
- It all starts this weekend with the Bakke Cup tomorrow, Saturday, at the Leavenworth Ski Hill. The event includes an alpine race and a ski jump competition and will start at noon, with registration at 11 a.m. Call 509-548-5477 for more information.
- This coming Sunday, Feb. 3, will feature the Chicks on Sticks, a skate/snowshoe event at the Leavenworth Fish Hatchery benefitting breast cancer research at the Leavenworth Fish Hatchery. Visit skileavenworth.com for more information.
- An event ongoing now through March 31 is a winter life snowshoe tour, also at the hatcher. Call 509-548-7641 for information.
- Wildlife in Words and Song takes place next Friday, Feb. 8. Billed as the saga of Washington's fish and wildlife in words, pictures and song, the event is presented by naturalist Ken Bevis. Call 509-548-7584 for more information.
- Leavenworth Wine and Chocolate will be featured in the city's downtown area Feb. 14-17. Visitors can enjoy local and regional wines and chocolates. Call 509-433-1054 for more information.
- During the same weekend as the wine and chocolate event is the 2013 Leisure Games, Feb. 16 at the Leavenworth Festhalle.
The leisurely-paced games include four elements; music, games, beer and food. Visit iciclebrewing.com for more information.
- Leavenworth will also be the site for the Winter Fiddle Festival on Feb. 16, which features a barn dance, as well as contra, couples and square dancing. Call 509-548-6347, ext. 408 for more information.
- The Bavarian Cup & Carnival also takes center stage on Feb. 16, with the Leavenworth Ski Hill hosting activities ranging from tubing and skiing to face painting and fireworks. Call 509-548-5477 for more information.
- The last weekend in February will feature the 30k Hog Loppet Ski Trek on Saturday, Feb. 23. A non-competitive event from the top of Mission Ridge Ski area to Blewett Pass, Hog Loppet includes areas with steep terrain and ungroomed conditions to test experienced skiers.
See skileavenworth.com for more information.