Tuesday, March 13, 2007
EAST WENATCHEE - Twelve of the 54 members of the Sunnyside 'Lil Grapplers who trekked to East Wenatchee this past Saturday brought home championship bragging rights.
The East Wenatchee wrestling tournament was the season opener on the 2007 spring youth wrestling circuit.
Sunnyside 'Lil Grapplers Coach Daniel Guillen said he has 62 youngsters out for this year's team, and was pleased that all but eight of them made the trip to East Wenatchee this past weekend.
"I'm very proud of what they accomplished at the first tournament of the season," Guillen said.
"We have a lot of first year wrestlers, but they wrestled like they have more experience than that.
"The kids have been practicing hard, so I wasn't really surprised we had the kind of success we did," Guillen said.
Of the 54 Sunnyside wrestlers who competed Saturday, 12 of them won first place honors in their respective weight classes.
The individual weight class champions included:
• Jose Campos - 5/6-year-olds 37-41 lbs.;
• Sylvester Cortes - 5/6-year-olds 83-90 lbs.;
• Jacob Mendoza - 7/8-year-olds 51-53 lbs.;
• Frankie Gomez - 7/8-year-olds 88-93 lbs.;
• Isaac Velasquez - 7/8-year-olds 103-114 lbs.;
• Christopher Martin - 9/10-year-olds (weight class unavailable;
• Jesse Barajas - 9/10-year-olds 68-69 lbs.;
• Andy Gomez - 9/10-year-olds 78-82 lbs.;
• Angel Ochoa - 9/10-year-olds 82-83 lbs.;
• Charlie Barajas - 13/14-year-olds 112-116 lbs.;
• Devin Amaro - 13/14-year-olds 136-143 lbs.;
• Frankie Ochoa - 13/14-year-olds 173-189 lbs.
The Sunnyside team also had seven of its wrestlers notch runner-up finishes at the East Wenatchee tourney. The second place finishers included Hannah Amaro in the 5/6-year-olds 37-41 lb. weight class, Ethan Montelongo in the 5/6-year-olds 42-44 lb. weight class, Michael Lopez in the 7/8-year-olds 53-54 lb. weight class, Baeley Febus in the 7/8-year-olds 80-85 lb. weight class, Ethan Kantman in the 9/10-year-olds 103-107 lb. weight class, Fidel Medina Jr. in the 11/12-year-olds 59-63 lb. weight class and Angelo Lopez in the 11/12-year-olds 106-110 lb. weight class.
Third place finishers at the tourney from the Sunnyside youth wrestling club included Jaylen Amaro, Angel Alpizar, Zavien Sustaita, Sylvester Rodriguez, Hassan Kone, Noe Palomino, Tyler Kantman, Octavio Navarro Jr. and Anthony Palomino.
The Sunnyside team is next scheduled to compete at a tournament in Warden this coming Saturday, March 17.